Hello Kitty is...Disney?

So...here's something funny that happened between my mum and I this morning while discussing Christmas gifts for our family friends.
One of my mum's friend has a 7 year old daughter and she wanted to get her a gift from Toys R Us.
Here's what happened...

Me: Do you know what she likes?
Mum: That Disney cat...what's the name again..?
Me: *struggles to remember Disney cat characters*
Mum: Oh I remember now! Hello Kitty!


And as if that wasn't enough...we entered into another discussion about the other Disney characters. Disney princesses...to be exact.

Mum: I like that Indian princess..
Me: Indian?
Mum: You know...the one with the genie.
Me: ...

Yeah...she's not being racist...she's just not Disney-educated. And for those of you who don't know, she's talking about JASMINE from ALADDIN. And for those who are just as Disney-ignorant as my mum, Jasmine is ARABIAN. Okay...to be honest...Jasmine is NEITHER because she comes from a fictional city. It's hard to tell what nationality she really is. Something more like a mix between Persian and Arabian cultures. Her name however, is mostly Arabic.
Plus, the tale ALADDIN is from the Arabian Nights AND Jasmine is the daughter of a SULTAN (an arabian word for ruler).

Furthermore...

Me: I want to watch Sinbad again too...
Mum: That's a really good story. It shows how parents can sacrifice anything for their kids.
Me: What...?
Mum: You know, when lion father rescued his son but died.
Me: ...that's Lion King.
Mum: You said Simba

So we're all prone to such mistakes...not really. But it was quite a funny breakfast I had with my mum. Ahh I love her. Especially since we have these language barrier things.
Speaking of Lion King though...that reminds me of the time Cinney and I reenacted that exact Lion King scene on the park slide LOL.

Me (as Mufasa): Save me Scar!
Cinney (as Scar): Hahaha Mufasa, I'm going to take your wife..no wait, you're throne!

Yes...another one of her cute fail moments xD

2 comments:

Sunny | December 5, 2010 at 5:26 PM

yeeess i finally got the follow button working~

;) remember our disney songs
'A Whole New Linda'... *cough*

Amy | December 6, 2010 at 9:03 AM

LOL of course I remember!!!
"I can show you a world...
Away from karate and judo...
Tell me linda now when did you last let your heart decide?"

Post a Comment

free counters
Blog Directory for New South Wales