Something magic this way comes...


Wands, a hidden platform, moving staircases and owl posts. What do these things have in common? That's right, they're from the magical world of Harry Potter.
Even though I can't magically apparate myself to Hogwarts or ride a broomstick like Harry, the Powerhouse Museum of Sydney gave me the next best thing. They brought the world of Harry Potter to me.

Standing underneath the flying car from Harry Potter & The Chamber of Secrets

Unfortunately, the exhibition didn't allow photographs so I couldn't take photos (even though I really wanted to!). Leona (from The Daily Leona) and I decided overnight to go since it's practically a once in a lifetime opportunity. She was sick but she still came out with me. Awwwww....

So some highlights of the exhibition includes SPOILERS AHEAD, LEAVE NOW IF YOU HATE SPOILERS):
  • The sorting hat - It was interesting watching people being sorted into houses. Unfortunately, it wasn't as grand as I thought it'd be, properly because it wasn't in the Great Hall...and also because the hat just sorted you into whichever house you liked. 
  • The Hogwarts Express - This was possibly the COOLEST part of the exhibition because they made real fog and everything. 
  • The Fat Lady - The fat lady was pretty funny. There was no interaction and I think they used the same clip as they did in the third film but it was nice to be up and personal. 
  • The Mandrakes - Pulling the mandrakes out was a fun experience but it didn't move much so I guess it wasn't as realistic as I thought it was...
  • Throwing the Quaffle - It was just your ordinary basketball shoot-out you find in arcades...the Quaffles were soft and rubbery (I'm pretty sure it was plastic in the film). I got wacked in the knee by this kid who missed the goal (I don't see how he could have missed...it was literally just 1m away) and the Quaffle rebounded at me. 
  • Hagrid's Hut - This was really interesting. Hagrid's costume was HUGE. Was the actor really that tall? Literally 2 of me vertically. There's also a really special "something" on Hagrid's table...but I won't spoil that. 
  • Aragog - I think it was Aragog...or it could have been his son...
  • The Dementor - Freakyyyyyyy
  • Yule Ball dresses - Leona and I both agreed that Hermione's dress was swoon-worthy! 
  • Fawkes the Phoenix - Seeing it close up was realllyyyyyyy cool. It was so well made!
 The last stop was of course the souvenirs shop where I purchased Harry's wand for $50. You might think I'm crazy but it's not one of those plastic wands...it's an authentic wooden wand inside it's box and it's HEAVY. I have this rule when I buy these things...if it's HEAVY then it's worth the $$$.

It might not look like much...but it's REALLY GOOD QUALITY. I SWEAR! 
*tries to justify the spurge*

I later went back and bought an exhibition guide too :) ahahaha...I am wasting so much money...

Here's Leona with the wand.
 Obviously, she's not holding it...but still...



Next up...is a quick recap of the Love Lace exhibition that I sort of fumbled into with my cousin :D


Haha that's all the photos I took unfortunately...but it was worth a look! The stuff there was amazing too.


Okay, so to sum up everything...I had a lot of fun at both exhibitions. For those who haven't been to the Harry Potter exhibition yet, it's $32 but TOTALLY WORTH IT :)
Would I go watch it again? Probably not...but should I have watched it? HELL YES!

5 comments:

Matt | November 30, 2011 at 12:25 AM

....cool salute LOL

Anonymous | December 2, 2011 at 2:37 AM

omg you have a wand!!! do they have the elder wand as well? i want!

Amy | December 2, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Haha they don't have an elder wand. They do have an elder wand PEN though.

Anonymous | December 3, 2011 at 1:50 AM

... awww i know why.. harry snapped it at the end.... -.-"

Anonymous | June 7, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Quality articles or reviews is the crucial to invite the viewers to go to see the
web page, that's what this web site is providing.



Also visit my page :: Beats By Dre Solo

Post a Comment

free counters
Blog Directory for New South Wales