Shanghai Shanghai


Shanghai is one of the biggest, brightest and busiest city in China. With a population larger than the whole of Australia, this big, vibrant city was where I was born and raised for the first five years of my life. To be completely honest, I don't remember much. Most of my memories from childhood was about my life here in Sydney but that doesn't mean I remember nothing about the place where I came from.


Shanghai, from my memory, was a place that was ashy and weary by day....


But vibrant and full of life by night...

You could say that the city itself is a reflection of the people. Hardworking parents commuting by bus at the crack of dawn to their individual work stations, students on the pedestrian crossing massaging their necks from their late night's studying and even the senior members of the community are up early in the parks, practicing Tai Chi with their friends of many years.

Then at night, the lights come on and the workers shed their working clothes. The city comes to life and it celebrates well into the dead of night. I've been there, many times and I love that side of the city.


Then there's the 'The Bund', a strip of buildings alongside a harbour. I was told by my mother that Shanghai's 'Bund' was the inspiration to the all-time-greatest-drama 'The Bund' starring Chow Yun Fat (that Singapore pirate lord from Pirates of the Caribbean).

THIS GUY
It's a story involving the Shanghai triad who ruled Shanghai during the Republican era and about how one guy worked his way from a nobody all the way to the top. There's been a lot of remakes but the most Classic edition will have to be the one starring Chow Yun Fat. 

You're suppose to feel intimidated by this stance!
This picture screams GANGSTER.

oops, I'm straying from the main point. To show my appreciation to Shanghai, here's a quick little something...



"Start spreading the news, I am leaving today. I want to be a part of it, Shanghai, Shanghai.
These big neon lights, are beckoning me. Shed off your dirty, working shoes. Shanghai, Shanghai.
I want to commute, to a workplace at six a.m. and get a promotion yeah! Maybe a raise...(too).
Then night comes along...The lights flicker on...It's time to celebrate this news...
Good old Shanghai...
Call up all my friends.Shout them beer! Shop all night in Shanghai, Shanghai.."


Bonus picture of Cinney and I in Shanghai (2009). Yeah...Cinney is the lady inside the bucket and I'm the pirate guy with the hat near the steering wheel.
Why are we the only ones on the ride?! 
Because everyone else in China was either working or at school FOREIGNERS GET DIBS!

End

Don't forget to comment and follow this blog for more madness :D
free counters
Blog Directory for New South Wales