May the odds be ever in your favour


Yesterday, before a birthday dinner, some friends and I went to watch The Hunger Games. It's one of the films I really wanted to watch so since it came out this Thursday, I've been bugging several people to go watch it with me.

I've read the series and I must say, it sits at the apex of my favourite series of all time. The idea was unique (in my opinion anyway) and the character development was executed beautifully. Katniss in particular, was such an inspiration.

That aside, I was first a little skeptical of the film adaptation. I liked the trailer but trailers are never really a good way of determining whether a film is good or not. So I was thoroughly surprised when the film turned out to be FANTASTIC. The entire film was emotionally driven and well performed. The producers did a very commendable job on the casting. It was worth the $19.50 I paid to watch it in Vmax.


Jennifer Lawrence played a very good Katniss Everdeen. She's exactly how I imagined her to be: Strong, beautiful, a little emotionally detached but warm-hearted nonetheless. And just as a side note, I think Lawrence looks good as a brunette.

But to be completely honest with myself, as a design student, what REALLY intrigued (and delighted) me was the couture fashion and architecture in the film. The Capitol, the driving power and host of the Hunger Games is a place completely detached from the out skirting districts. Whereas in District 12, the peasants wore "normal" clothing, The Capitol is a different world altogether.


Just look at that. It might be a little weird to look at (at first) but imagine this being worn by an entire city and you get The Capitol. Every piece (said by Cindy) was like an Alexander McQueen. Quirky, high-end couture and so colourful too!


Compared to that, all the district costumes just seemed very "modest". Nice juxtaposition though. And a good way of emphasizing the power The Capitol holds over the other Districts.


Unfortunately, I couldn't find any detailed pictures of the architecture...the interiors especially. But they are absolutely mind-blowing. The film shifted from a poor 1800's working class environment to lavishly decorated Victorian Interiors and then to a Futuristic cityscape (Penthouse scenes).


Another driving factor for my love of the film will have to be Katniss's love interests. First of all, Gale...who I thought (at first) a better match (physically and intellectually) for Katniss. He just seemed like someone who's capable of protecting her (not that she needed protectection). Unfortunately, he didn't get much screening time in the film (which is a bummer because Brunette Liam Hensworth is such eye candy!).

BUT as the movie progressed, I was won over by the cute chemistry between Katniss and Peeta (played by Josh Hutcherson. That guy from Bridge to Terabithia and Journey to the Centre of the Earth). It's strange because Hutcherson always seemed like a kid to me...but he really did step up this time. For this film, Josh had to dye his hair blond. And I must admit, it SUITS HIM a lot. He looks less like a kid in my opinion.

Most of the main characters' actors/actresses had to dye their hair for their role. Lawrence and Hensworth went from blonde to brunette. And Hutcherson did the opposite and went from Brunette to Blonde. A very notable AND SUCCESSFUL change of appearance. Their images now suit their roles much better.

Overall, I'm hoping for a sequel because this movie was seriously good. Hopefully the quality doesn't change when they do start filming a sequel. Fingers crossed! I won't spoil too much now, because there's a lot of amazing scenes that you just have to watch for yourself to grasp its awesomeness...but I recommend anyone who haven't watched it yet to go watch it. Don't download it...seriously get off your butt and head over to the cinemas NOW. The effect of seeing this movie on a giant screen is astronomical. And if possible, for those in Australia...WATCH IT IN VMAX. Not trying to be bossy, but it makes a lot of difference.

So that's all guys :)

May the odds be ever in your favour.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

free counters
Blog Directory for New South Wales